Monday, April 1, 2013

Drawing of St Joseph Statue, Pencil, 11"x14" (or Stop Worrying and Make Something)



Drawing practice today. A book I recently checked out at the library made the distinction between drawing and sketching. This is a drawing.
I hope St Joseph will forgive me for giving him a disproportionately large head.
One thing which I have learned recently is that it is worth it to keep practicing a skill even if I don't have an application in mind. An example is from the realm of music: I recently got asked to help out with playing guitar for some prayer services. For quite awhile, I have been learning to play guitar just for fun. I'm really glad that I practiced as much as I did because now that skill is ready to be used.
So, as far as visual art goes, I think it's worth it to practice drawing or sketching or whatever visual art skill even if you don't have an immediate application. I find that when I start worrying about the applications, I get all tied up in knots; whereas, when I just sit down and MAKE SOMETHING, I feel at peace. Someone said to me recently that when the student is ready, the teacher appears. I am hoping that a corollary of that applies to visual art: When the skill is ready, the application appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment