Friday, June 7, 2013

Impractical Work or The "Studio"




This is a drawing from the "studio" which means it is a product of observation and expression created for no materially practical purpose. I have been fortunate lately to have had opportunities to apply creative skills to projects outside the "studio" lately. For this I am grateful. It is gratifying to be useful. These projects I am choosing not to publish in my blog because they have their own audience already. This drawing is an affirmation of the necessity of the "studio" to being an artist. I thought about not drawing for the "studio" this morning because I have other practical creative work to do. However, I have learned that in order to remain available for practical work as an artist, I need to be creating impractically. Of course, this means the impractical work is really practical. It's just not apparently practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment