Friday, July 4, 2014

View Through Balcony Railing













More on the human figure project: Moving on to the muscle groups. The names are a mishmash. Ignore them.
I might need to bite the bullet and buy some books recommended by Shana (http://www.john1v14.blogspot.com). It is difficult to understand the muscles from 2-D drawings.

Also, a few thoughts on the human figure: I've always been interested in the human form. As a kid, I was a gymnast, and then danced (ballet) for several years. I also coached gymnastics. Do, I've spent a lot of time in a leotard and watched a lot of other people in leotards. Both ballet and gymnastics involve both mechanics and aesthetics as far as the body is concerned.
There is a darker side to my interest in the human form as well. Like many American women, I have spent uncountable lost hours comparing, despairing, coveting, and abusing where the human form was concerned - mine or someone else's.
As an artist and as an intellectually curious human being (the aspect of myself for which this blog provides an outlet), the human figure offers a new visual language, one that needs to be understood from the inside in order to be used. Kind of like calligraphy. I really enjoyed my little foray into calligraphy. It's like a secret cave to go into and explore.
I know that God brings good out of evil and that he also uses everything good to be fruitful. I have used and abused the body. I have also always loved it. May this little foray be redemptive to what is disordered and make richer that which is good.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment